Department: Public Services
Reports to: Executive Director of Operations
Supervises: Not Applicable
The Department of Public Services is now accepting applications for employment, and/or resumes for an available full-time Laborer position. Applications are available at the Borough of Conshohocken Administrative Office, located at 400 Fayette St., Suite 200 in Conshohocken, or they can be accessed online here. To be considered for this position, completed applications must be delivered to the Administrative Office by Monday March 16, 2020 or sent to email@example.com. The Borough of Conshohocken is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Purpose: To provide a variety of manual labor, construction, snow/ice removal, lawncare, maintenance and repair services to roads and adjacent public property for safety and convenience of the public.
Minimum tasks include the following but are not limited to:
- Perform work involving heavy physical exertion and use of manual tools to maintain Borough owned facilities. Operate heavy machinery.
- Responsible for conducting general maintenance functions for roads and public services operations such as:
- Construction projects and paving preparations. Gravel spreading, repairing, painting and installing street signs, etc.
- Sweep roads, clear ditches and remove debris from outlets.
- Maintain landscaping in healthy, attractive condition. Cut grass and remove leaves.
- Maintains good conditions during inclement weather by sanding or salting of roads or sidewalks, snow plowing and shoveling.
- Will be required to respond to emergency situations as they arise.
- Waste Management duties, collect trash and recycling, work heavy equipment at waste site, replace containers upright at curb.
- Carries out work assignments using a variety of equipment, hand and power tools. Responsible for safe and effective use of equipment and selects the correct equipment to perform all jobs. Discusses plans, priorities and work schedules with the supervisor, including the most useful equipment for certain jobs.
- Maintains equipment and tools in safe operating condition by;
- Following acceptable maintenance and service schedules (oil changes, filters, and lubrications, etc.) according to service manuals.
- Performing repair/replacement work, recommending repairs and/or replacement of equipment.
Minimum Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, education and training required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License and must obtain a Pennsylvania Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) within the 90-day probation period. Must have the ability to maintain a valid PA CDL while employed.
- High School education or equivalent
- Some experience in related position
- Knowledge or standard practices of labor operations and knowledge of hazards and safety precautions
- Ability to operate a truck and equipment on and off the highway during traffic and inclement weather
- Ability to perform manual labor (lifting and carrying) in inclement weather
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and/or computer-generated instructions
- General Computer skills (Microsoft office programs a plus)